Friday, October 14, 2005

Tue 10/4/2005 6:57 AM

Hi everyone,

This weekend was the NYU sponsored trip to Vienna. I have been there before but it was a completely different experience! I really wish I had my pictures from my last Vienna trip (4 summers ago) because I may be getting it mixed up with Budapest. We left early friday morning on the bus and we were all very dead from going out the night before. We rode the bus a couple hours and then stopped in a town called telc (Telch) in the boonies of the czech republic. It was very peaceful and solitary and not a place for tourists so I enjoyed that immensely. We first went to a small grave yard that has been around for hundreds of years and had some famous people buried in it and then we went to the Telc castle. It was very plain and simple, but it had a TON of rooms (we weren't allowed to take pictures) with lots of male-mail (I don't know how to spell it) and knights and swords and I had to sheild my eyes to keep them from watering in the hunting room. It was disgusting. There were some nice gardens, but over-all I think the bus driver needed a break halfway through the ride so they tried to find something cool for us to do.

We got to Vienna in the afternoon and our Hostel was AMAZING as far as hostels go. WAAAYY better than Durty Nelly's. We had our own private shower for three people. Me and Katrina roomed together with a girl named Elinor...you will see in the pictures. We had about 20 mins in our room and then we set off for a walking tour of Vienna led by one of the NYU professors Vaclav something. I took lots of pictures of this, we saw palaces and enormous cathedrals and lots and lots of tourists. The word I would use to describe Vienna is glitz. We walked down street after street of Prada, Gucci, D&G, Dior, Armani, Louis Vitton, and on and on and on for miles. For dinner Katrina was set on finding some weinersnitzel so we went to this austrian restaurant and the memories came flooding back. DEEP FRIED VEGETABLES. During the AMA trip I must have had that meal with tartar sauce for dinner 10 nights in a row. It was good to have for one night and it made me laugh. The next day we went to 4 museums. The succession, the Leopold, the modern museum of art and the Sigmund Freud museum. It was wonderful because NYU paid for them all. The Succession was my favorite. It an exhibit on the walls of a room, literally painted on to the walls. If you follow the painting around the room it shows you the path to Nirvana. There were three main panels -> true happiness, pure bliss and eternal love. The visuals were fantastic. The other museums were nice too, I saw a Picasso and some Kandinsky at the museum of modern art. We did a couple other walked tours and had plenty of time to wander around on our own. I was very thankful for that because me and Katrina literally wandered for hours and I think I really got to know the city from that. We found the most perfect gelato place and like I said, tried the native food. It was a good time and we were all EXHAUSTED when we got back on sunday night. But not to exhausted to go out.. :)

This weekend I am definitely planning on staying home. I want to play some more soccer and get on top of my homework. My cold most definitely came back so I am trying to be good and drink lots of water.

I found out yesterday that Nicole and Leah are coming to visit (separately) later on in the next couple of months. That makes me realllly happy because I want to show this city off to people! Tonight is the date that I also plan on booking my Italy ticket for fall break. There are so many trips that people want to go on. The main ones I am interested in are Barcelona, a trip skiing to a glacier on the swiss alps and Budapest. I have to map out everything I want to do and then choose the best ones. So much is going on all the time it is wonderful. A TON of my friends just got back from Oktoberfest. I heard tons of crazy stories but it all sounded amazing.

I would just like everyone to know that I skipped around in my nixon jersey and my sox hat all day yesterday. It was wonderful though not many people here have much confidence in the sox...it is still and NY program, even in Prague. We have been in touch with sports bars around here to see which ones will be televising the games. There are some pretty hard core baseball fans so I don't think I will have an issue getting information.

One frustrating thing about the NYU center. I can't practice anywhere in it! They originally told us that we could use any unused room to practice in during the day. What they really meant was that we could use an open room if it isn't near any other rooms, which basically means that you need an entire open floor, which never happens! I had a class this morning and now I have an hour and a half to kill before I meet up with some people. It sounds like a perfect time to do some practicing to me. I tried to practice in three different rooms and got politely asked each time by a professor to kindly find somewhere else to practice. When I have a 40 minute commute from my apartment to the NYU center it makes no sense whatsoever to go home. I hate wasting time and it is really frustrating because the practice room situation sucks here. I guess practicing will just have to wait until later. And check in the next couple of days and my Amsterdam and Vienna pictures will be up!

Nazdar, Emma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home