Friday, October 14, 2005

Thu 9/29/2005 6:01 AM

AHOJ everyone!

I am still moving here. I've lived here for about a month and it has not worn off at allllll!!! I just got out of my saxophone lesson and I am still star-struck. I am doing things in my lessons this semester that I have never even heard of, and I am not nervous at all trying all this improv. It is so exciting because at home I was in a little shell of shyness. If I stayed in that shell I would get NOTHING out of my lessons here, so it is wonderful. Frantisek had a show lastnight and also has one tonight. I went to the one lastnight and it was as phenominal as the last. I think I should start up a NYU frantisek quartet fan club because all sorts of people are coming with me each week. The show tonight opens at 7pm and it is the release party for their DVD. I have a ton of stuff to do today so I might show up for the start of the playing (9pm) and buy the DVD, because how cool is that to have a DVD of your teacher and his band.

I have went to another concert at the Rudolfimum. This show was by a foreign orchestra and they played a really fun program (gershwin, enigma variations, the rite of spring) but it was nowhere near or even in the same vicinity as the Czech Filhormonie. My goal to go to one music show a week has been more than met thus far. And all the shows are either REALLLY cheap or free (frantisek always gets me in free).

I also went to a rock concert last week. It was soooo neat because Katrina is booking the US tour for them. She is starting them out in NY at the knitting factory then maybe the bowery ballroom and then touring the country. What this meant for me was that after the show I got to go backstage and MEET all the band members. (And they generally spoke pretty decent English.) The band was soooo fun on stage. Though it was a little weird listening to music and not knowing at all what they were saying, they wore funky costumes and sunglasses and wigs. They even changed in between songs. So that was really cool, we had to get special permission and when we went back they were surprisingly down to earth and very friendly. One more thing about this band...I forget their name....They are all in their 40's. They have been around and together since 1984 so the fans at the concert had a HUGE range of ages from around 15 to 50 let (years).

I found out what I am doing at my internship the other day. I am going to be in working with the competition half of the festival. This year the competition is in Harpsichord and violin I believe. I am going to be in charge of the correspondense with all of the english entries. This week they flooded me with information about the festival because they want to make sure that I know everything so I know the right information to take and give out. I met the director of the Festival (he bought me lunch last week) and it was a lot of fun. Everyone helps me with my czech and they in-turn enjoy working on their English. Last week I sat in on one of their meetings.....ALL IN CZECH. It was really fun when I could pick up on a word or a sentence. Czech class is really going fast now, so I am understanding more and more every day.

There was a national holiday yesterday (Wednesday). It was Vaclav's (wenselas in english) day. I asked a ton of czech people what we were celebrating and none of them could really give me a straight answer. It is the celebration of his life, and it is a very common name in the CZ so it is a day to relax. I spend the day sleeping and practicing and hanging out because I live in the most wonderful dorm in the world. I feel like I am finally getting a freshman year because everyone is so much fun and we do stuff together all the time. Rather than me sitting in my room with a psycopath ranting about LA and Mark Jacobs.

I tried to go shopping the other day but I failed miserably. I set out for a couple of specific things and though I found lots of wonderful clothing, I did not let myself buy anything other than what was on my list, so I came home empty handed. I will try again some other time. Though I definitely do NOT have the money for it, I want to be comfortablet this winter. It got cold very fast in the past two weeks.

This weekend I am going on an NYU trip to Vienna. We were given the choice of Berlin, Krakow or Vienna and though I have been to Vienna before I chose to go there again. I wasn't sure I wanted to depression of Auschwitz with a big group of NYU students, and I have been to a couple of in Germany during my AMA trip so Vienna it is. We have the entire weekend planned out and I am really looking foward to getting away for a weekend. AND almost everything is free because it is NYU sponsored. I don't know if my bank account could stand another weekend with the Euro. We have free housing and a lot of tours and group meals and museums. We are leaving at the crack of dawn on tomorrow (friday - patek) morning (rano).

This brings me to fall break. Nov 10th - 20th we have off and it is soo much fun planning. Me and a couple of friends are going to tour Italy. This makes me soo happy because I have never been there before. We want to hit rome, venice, milan, florence, naples maybe a couple of other cities here and there and then we want to go to Sicily or one of the islands off the coast. I haven't gotten my plane tickets yet, but we are hoping to get that done today. They are pretty cheap right now, we just get to get in gear. The internet in the dorms is too slow so we have to come to the NYU center which isn't always open.
So now I am off with some friends to have lunch at Country Life. If you can believe it, it is an all vegetarian restaurant. YAY!! Cheap food that I can actually eat! It is right by the NYU center as well so everything works out.

This weekend I was very unproductive. We were hoping to get to some castles because we were told that they all close in october, but that will be saved for another time. I enjoyed roaming around my area. OH YEAH!! We started up something new. From the top floor of my dorm you can see the most beautiful soccer field ever. I'm talking pro quality. We went out and tried to play on it and got HARD COME yelled at. It was kinda funny because we had NO idea what was being said. So behind that field is a little dirt area with two goals. That is where we play! It is usually just me and a group of guys, but I don't care. I haven't played soccer in so long that I have been having the best time. Last time we played some little 12 year old czech boys joined in. It was sooo cute! We even got pictures...and on that, I still haven't updated my pics but I have a LOT of them stored up on my laptop, so expect that soon.

I am off. Thanks for all the responses, I do miss home it is just that Prague is the most wonderful place I have ever been. Haha. So I will try and get another one of these out next week. I hope that everyone is doing well!!

Nascladanou, Emma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home